suggestions for new PAGE apparatus

kaj.stenberg at helsinki.fi.invalid kaj.stenberg at helsinki.fi.invalid
Thu Aug 4 18:01:52 EST 2005

Nick Theodorakis <nick_theodorakis at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:52:22 -0400, "Dr. James J. Campanella"
> <campanellj at mail.montclair.edu> wrote:

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I am in the market to buy a new PAGE set-up. I refuse to buy Biorad again.

(...)

> I don't have a good suggestion for a replacement, but what I often
> used to do with the Biorad setup is to put a strip of Parafilm between
> the plates and the gasket. Alternatively, if I think the plates are
> really dinged up, I make a stock of 1% agarose in the same Tris-Cl
> buffer the gels are made with; then heat it up and put a bead of
> agarose down each edge of the plates and the bottom. The agarose trick
> dates back from the "home-made"gel plates days and is usually
> fool-proof.

Tape (the firm and sticky type) does the trick even easier and faster.
Never mind any glue-residues, you have a reference there.

I have this problem in a course, some students are making their first
gels ever. Some succeed immidiately, some make unsuccesful trials 3
times and in the end have to be given mymade gels. And yes, it is
the BioR-apparatus.
	Mishap, mistakes, failure and frustration are important learning
points in any wet-lab course. However, often there will be something more
intended than the mere basics. Basics should vork at the student's
level, I am sick and tired of telling frustrated  students (in effect)
that "it works for me, and it is commersial, therefore it must be your
shortcomming, take this gel and continue your work".

Hovewer, since it is a marketed product (Bio-Rad apparatus) there must
be someone at Bio-rad who can cast these gels manually and routinely
without leaking problems and who cannot cannot see the problems we
meet in our first 100 gels. Of course, one can pay for the precasted
ones, is that the (failed) long-term plan?

--
Kaj