crude bacterial DNA prep

JXB jxb at
Sun Aug 14 00:51:23 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

We do this all the time with E. coli. All you have to do is touch a pipet
tip to the colony and then dip it into your PCR reaction - its all ready to
go. This is our routine method for cloning chromosomal DNA and for verifying
mutants. Incidently, some of the replys state to use a toothpick. Don't use
a wooden tooth pick - use a pipet tip. With toothpicks you will get variable
results as there seem to be Taq inhibitors present in the wood. If you are
not using E. coli you should pick up a colony with a pipet tip and put it
into water and heat as suggested by others.....

news:mailman.302.1123547527.29381.methods at