Protecting RNA in the jungle

Bo Johansen boj at bot.ku.dk
Tue Aug 16 03:00:04 EST 2005

Hi

I am going on a trip to collect RNA samples from flower buds in the
jungle of plants that cannot be cultivated. It is impossible to bring
liquid nitrogen on the trip, and I won't get into a lab for 2-3 weeks.
What do I do.

I have thought of collecting the material in Eppendorph tubes, add 1 ml
og 2.5 M LiCl and crush the material with a pistil. Close the tube and
leave it until I get to a lab

Or

Collecting the material in an Eppendorph tube, add 1 ml og  4M guanidine
isothiocyanate, 25mM sodium citrate, pH7, 0.5% sarcosyl, 100mM
b-mercaptoethanolm, crush the material and leave it until I get to a lab.

Will any of these methods leave the RNA intact or are there other methods?

Bo