Protecting RNA in the jungle

as nospam at nospam.com
Tue Aug 16 03:17:53 EST 2005

"Bo Johansen" <boj at bot.ku.dk> wrote in message
news:dds6e1$ltt$2 at news.net.uni-c.dk...
> Hi
>
> I am going on a trip to collect RNA samples from flower buds in the jungle
> of plants that cannot be cultivated. It is impossible to bring liquid
> nitrogen on the trip, and I won't get into a lab for 2-3 weeks. What do I
> do.
>
> I have thought of collecting the material in Eppendorph tubes, add 1 ml og
> 2.5 M LiCl and crush the material with a pistil. Close the tube and leave
> it until I get to a lab
>
> Or
>
> Collecting the material in an Eppendorph tube, add 1 ml og  4M guanidine
> isothiocyanate, 25mM sodium citrate, pH7, 0.5% sarcosyl, 100mM
> b-mercaptoethanolm, crush the material and leave it until I get to a lab.
>
> Will any of these methods leave the RNA intact or are there other methods?
>
> Bo

Hi Bo.
We use either Trizol (Invitrogen) or RNAlater (ambion or qiagen)
http://www.ambion.com/techlib/prot/bp_7020.pdf for the purpose of storing
samples for RNA extraction.
If you use Trizol it is best to keep the samples cold or frozen. I think it
will be best NOT to crush the material until you come home.
Regards A.Salanti. Panum.