FW: amazonian plant DNA extraction

Deanne Bell dbell at fresno.ars.usda.gov
Tue Aug 23 12:47:57 EST 2005

Hi Lorena
Here's 3 of my favorite techniques for "difficult" plants, of course I
modified the techniques to do microtube preps!
I was wondering how are you grinding your tissue, as that can make a big
difference in how much DNA you get.

 1)	J.P. Prince et al.  1997 Hort Science 32(5) pp 937-939   (good
for plants high in oils)

2)	Wang, Wang & Zou. 1996 "An Improved Procedure for the isolation
of nuclear DNA from leaves of wild grapevine dried with silica gel"
?     14(4) pp 369 - 373 (first buffer breaks cell wall and isolates
nucleas, second buffer releases nucleic acids; good on fresh tissues
high in phenolics)

3)	Bernatzky and Tanksley. 1986 Theor Appl Genet 72: pp 314-321 - I
have modified this protocol quite a bit, but that is where i started.

I also remember someone publishing a protocol in BioTechniques on DNA
extraction from Rain Forest Plant Species.  Another technique that may
be helpful was in Plant Molecular Biology Reporter on DNA isolation from
Sedum - i remember the phrase 'highly mucilagenous succulent plant' in
the title.  Both of these would have been between 1996 and 1999.

hope this helps
Deanne Bell
USDA Agricultural Research Service
Crop Diseases, Pests & Genetics