FW: no restriction with EcoRI

Deanne Bell dbell at fresno.ars.usda.gov
Tue Aug 30 17:31:44 EST 2005

Hi Lorena

What type of DNA extraction protocol did you finally settle upon?  With AFLPs, it is very important to start out with good quality, high molecular weight, genomic DNA.

As I recall (AIR) EcoRI is the "rare cutter" and Mse I is the "frequent cutter".  So you should see lots of bands or a smear in the Mse digested DNA and very little change in your Eco digest.  What kind and %age gel are you running the digest out on?  You might try increasing the 5age for increase resolution.

Some ideas:
1) you might need to change the enzyme buffer or temperature you are using when you digest with the EcoRI

2) you might try an EcoRI isoschizomer

3) if you find that EcoRI is not going to work, I am afraid that you will need to go back to the original 1995 Vos paper, replace EcoRI with a different "rare cutting" enzyme and have your own primers made instead of using the kit from invitrogen.

hope these ideas may help in soem way
Deanne Bell
USDA Agricultural Research Service
Crop Diseases, Pests & Genetics