Pronunciation of numbers in plasmid names, etc.?

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 4 02:11:50 EST 2005

D.K. wrote:

> In article <4202e010.20784444 at news.ind.sbcglobal.net>, nick_theodorakis at hotmail.com (Nick Theodorakis) wrote:
>
>>On 3 Feb 2005 08:13:24 -0800, peter_frankde at yahoo.de (Peter Frank)
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I assume in a pure
>>>English language newsgroup most people probably wouldn't know a lot
>>>about scientific terminology, so I thought I better post it here.
>>>

>>I'll tell you how I pronounce things, which may or may not be the way
>>most people do.
>>

>>>pUC18 (heard it being pronounced pUC eighteen) - plasmid
>>>pUC119 (heard it being proncounced pUC one nineteen) - plasmid
>>>

>>I usually pronounce the pUC plasmids as if they were the word "Puck."
>>(And pGEM as "pee-gem")
>>

>>>JM109 (heard it being pronounced JM one oh nine) -
>>
>>That's how I say it.
>>

>>>HEK-293 (?) - eukaryotic cell line
>>
>>I usually just say "two-ninety-three"
>>

>>>Hsp70 (?) - protein
>>
>>Aich ess pee (i.e, H  S P said as seperate letters) seventy
>>

>>>CD135 (?) - protein
>>>

>>Cee Dee one thirty five
>>

> All the same for me.

And me.

What would also be interesting is knowing how to pronounce the latin
names of organisms, like Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Escherichia coli,
Pseudomonas putida and Drosophila melonogaster ;)

Any one want to give it a try?

Trond Erik

--
Trond Erik Vee Aune
Department of Biotechnology

- Must be sad being a dyslectic, agnostic insomniac, lying
   awake during the night, wondering if there really is a dog