Please help

imperat at hotmail.com imperat at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:23:55 EST 2005

Michelle wrote:
> I have a 10 year old son diagnosed with Tuberous Sclerosis. (a
genetic
> disorder)
> I would love to have another child but I am terrified it will be born
> with the same condition as my son is pretty severe.  I have just
found
> out that I am pregnant. My husband and i divorced not long after my
> son was diagnosed so I am now with a different partner hoping that
> this can not happen again.  My doctor doesn't even know much about
> this condition to offer any advice.  Has anyone else out there had a
> child without Tuberous sclerosis after having a child with it.
Please
> help, I don't know what to do.  I can not handle my heart broken
> again.
>
> Thanks you  Michelle

Hello Michelle,

As the previous poster hinted, this is not the best place to ask (and
yes, a genetic counselor would be better). Having said that...tuberous
sclerosis is an autosomal dominant disorder, which means that, in order
to pass it on to a child, at least one parent must have the disorder.
The fact that neither you nor -- presumably -- your ex-husband has the
disorder would suggest that your son acquired the mutation
spontaneously. In other words, the disorder "just happened", and he
didn't inherit it from either of you. In this case, there would be no
chance of you passing it on to another child.

I still recommend that you get a professional opinion (which mine
certainly isn't).

Don Incognito
Insert "spam" in the subject to reply by e-mail.