How to present microarray data in a talk?

Peter Frank peter_frankde at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 15 08:41:06 EST 2005

Hi,

I will have to give a talk about my research project soon. A major
part of my results are from microarray and real-time RT-PCR
experiments, i.e. I have lots of numeric data.

As is often the case the time for the talk is very limited (15 min + 5
min discussion). I also have to give a short introduction, summary,
etc., which again reduces the time available for presenting the data.
For the presentation, I will use Powerpoint and an LCD projector.

Now, my question is: Have you ever had to present microarray results
or other results consisting of lots of numeric data in a talk? If yes,
how did you present your data? Did you use tables and/or diagrams?
Tables can contain lots of data but IMO it is difficult for the
audience to grasp the information within quickly, which is required
for a talk where you pass on from slide to slide at fairly fast pace.
Besides, giving too much information on a single slide at once will
overwhelm the audience. Here, Powerpoint could prove useful allowing
elements/objects to appear one by one.

Can you give some advice on how to present microarray data in a talk?

Regards,
Peter

P.S.: I do have literature on how to give a good talk but none
specifically deals with how to present loads of numeric data.