How to present microarray data in a talk?

Sergio yokese at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:11:19 EST 2005

Just my opinion, but I think graphs are much better than tables in a
talk. If you present a bunch of numbers in tables, at least 50% of your
audience will miss 50% of your talk because they will be reading the
numbers, comparing values, etc. Using graphs, they'll see the
information at a glance and won't miss the talk.
In addition, I'd suggest to keep it simple. I think it's better to
comment some stuff than trying to show everything in a graph, just to
avoid the graph to become a mess of dots, lines, SD bars, etc. If
someone is interested in a more detailed graph you can keep a couple of
slides at the end of the presentation, or show a complex first one to
explain how the things were done before showing the rest of them. I'd
suggest also to be consistent in the colors and patterns. That way, once
they understand the first graph, they'll easily understand the rest.
And last, having only 15 min don't try to show a bunch of slides. Give
the audience time to understand what you are presenting and show only
what you consider is most relevant of your work, although you can
comment the rest of the work you are not showing.

Of course, there are people who prefer the tables...

Good luck

Sergio