Heating blocks?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:20:03 EST 2005

Duncan Clark wrote:

> >I'd suggest going to the nearest appliance store and buying
> >a single burner electric stove. They run about $20-40 US.
>
> Good idea but you forget, this is the UK :-)
>
> Very difficult to locate a single ring electric hob etc. here. Google
> doesn't show anything that is single ring  and I can't recall ever
> seeing one in the normal stores one would go to. I wonder if a camping
> store would be a better bet?

Have you tried Dixons or similar stores? I'd be surprised if they did
not have portable stoves (be it with one or two places).

Alternatively, you could use gas burners, in camping stores you get
units that work of small butane cartriges (advantage: very mobile,
disadvantage: high operating costs), but in an appliance store you can
also get units that are supplied from the gas pipe. I used one of the
latter systems for sterilising in a pressure cooker while working in
Manchester.