Commercial Premade SDS protein gels

Duncan Clark blackhole at abuse.plus.com
Wed Jun 8 04:49:15 EST 2005

Historians believe that in newspost
<DBEC634514555246BBD3858755BA3C372B0044 at server04.fresno.ars.usda.gov> on
Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Deanne Bell <dbell at fresno.ars.usda.gov> penned the
following literary masterpiece:
>My teaching philosophy is to have the students making & pouring their
>own gels as part of the practical!
>I believe that they should also be making their own buffers - teacher
>supplies the recipes (i.e. 375 mM Tris.HCl, pH 8.8, 0.1% SDS)  but they
>need to have experience practically mauvering in a lab.
>
>that's my 2 cents worth, be it ever so humble
>Deanne Bell

Sorry Mick, but I'm afraid I tend to agree with Deanne for an MSc
course.

I take sandwich students every year (from a highly rated university) and
their knowledge of how to make buffers up, or even calculate amounts
from a recipe, could be written in one word - none! Suffice to say when
they leave after a year they can do this and a lot more, including their
own PAGE gels. I know this just isn't being taught in practicals any
more, what few practicals there are now. It's a basic skill and my pet
hate about degree courses nowadays.

Anyway I'm guessing there is insufficient time in the practicals for
them to make the buffers, pour the gels and do the experiment :-(

9 years of doing it for them and you deserve a break!

As to who to buy from? The only one that comes to mind is
Invitrogen/Novex. Must be others though?

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.