[Methods-and-reagents] Re: sizing DNA fragments Macintosh

Austin P. So (Hae Jin) nobody at nowhere.com
Wed Jun 29 11:50:56 EST 2005

Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
> i will try tnimage and hope it's what i am looking for.
> thanks for the lead, Dima

I use tnimage on linux a lot...and while I like the program, it is
quirky. There is another program specifically for gel analysis IIRC on
that site which may be more suitable for your needs.

But really, there should be no problem taking a picture, printing it
out, using a ruler to measure fractional migration distance (versus gel
length), and plotting the data and fitting the curve (linear is
adequate, polynomial if you want to get really anal). There is only a
moderate increase getting the results using software. I've done this to
determine the best running conditions for different % PAGE gels, PAGE
gels with an intercalater present, and agarose gels, and it is no big deal.

Good luck!

Austin