Kan resistant plasmid growing in Amp

Kyle Legate legatekNOSPAM at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:39:26 EST 2005

Has anyone experienced this before? I can't find an explanation, and I
would really like one. I am cloning in pEGFP-C1, which contains a Kan
resistance cassette. I cut, ligated, plated, mini-prepped and
maxiprepped, all using Amp by default because 90% of my plasmids encode
Amp resistance. However, when I was making the data sheet for the new
plasmid I discovered that it encodes Kan resistance, not Amp resistance.

How could this be? How could a Kan resistant plasmid be amplified in
Amp-containing media?

I am sure I didn't accidentally use a Kan stock, and I am sure I have
the correct product. I am not the only person who has experienced this;
a colleague did the exact same thing (different Kan resistant plasmid)
late last year.

kyle