Trouble expressing small peptide

Brian Ballard NoReply at email.com
Thu Mar 10 13:40:47 EST 2005

No evidence to suggest the protein is toxic. Growth was pretty normal.
Transformation efficiency and colony size same as control, culture growth
maybe a little slower, but not dramatically. When expression is induced
with IPTG the culture continues to grow at similar rate. The full length
enzymatically active protein expresses at pretty high levels without any
problem, it's just this short C-terminal tail which will actually be
enzymatically inactive that's giving the problem.Wondered whether this
addition could be stopping the GST from folding and thus leading to its
rapid degradation, but there's no evidence of any degardation products
either. Being fused to the C-terminal end of the GST I hadn't anticipated
this being a problem even if this part didn't fold correctly.

Brian