A stop codon killed my ORF!

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 14 04:20:26 EST 2005

C.Emilie at gmail.com wrote:

> I have a UGA (opal). Is it (selenocysteine) a frequent occurence. I
> have never heard of it for our fungus...
> I'll read more on that, thanks a lot

Insertion of celenocysteine in eukaryotes is promoted by bSECIS elements
situated downstream of the opal codon. Close inspection of your gene
should be able to discover any bSECIS elements. If there's no bSECIS
element in your sequence, the decoding event must then be of another
kind than celenocystein insertion, or happening through a novel
mechanism that doesn't rely on bSECIS elements.

Have you looked at your protein on a protein gel (or western) to see if
the stop codon is efficient? You could also try to change the tga codon
to tag codon to see what happens.

Here's a reference to a great review of decoding events in both
prokaryotes and eukaryotes:

Namy et al. Reprogrammed Genetic Decoding in Cellular Gene Expression.
Molecular Cell. Vol. 13, 157-168. 2004.

Trond Erik

--
Trond Erik Vee Aune
Department of Biotechnology

- Must be sad being a dyslectic, agnostic insomniac, lying
   awake during the night, wondering if there really is a dog