glass bead trouble

Blah cidster12 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 12:45:48 EST 2005

Hello,

surprisingly I'm having a bit more trouble with glass bead spreading
than even with the glass stick. The thing is I'll have absolutely no
problem for a while achieving equal spreading for 100 plates but every
now and then I'll have one plate or entire runs where something goes
wrong. Typically the problem is higher density of cells in the center
in plates with large populations or cell clumps with smaller
populations. I vigorously shake my plates  for around 3 mins and try to
make sure that the beads travel around all the agar. I've inverted and
kept the plates upright but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.
I've also tried leaving them to dry.  The bacteria I'm using now are
e.coli. Any ideas on what might be the problem?