thermal cycler preferences

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon May 2 14:15:43 EST 2005

I'm planning on buying an additional thermal cycler for my lab and
was hoping for some additional input from members of this forum.

Currently we use an ABI GeneAmp 9700. Replacing that is an option, or
opting for their lower end model, the 2720 . The 2720 costs less, so
I could think about getting two to address capacity issues). Since we
mostly just use 0.2 ml tubes/striptubes, the lower end model seems
like it would suffice.

Another option would be an MJ DNA engine (now part of Bio-Rad). I
have had good luck with these units when I was a post doc, and the
flexibility of the unit seems really nice. The 96-well block can have
a temp gradient across the block (sounds useful for optimization).
They also have a dual 48-well block that essentially makes it into
two independent instruments. This seems attractive as we may have
more people wanting to use the instrumentation in the coming years.

I'd be interested to hear opinions about these or other comparable
instruments, especially with respect to reliability, quality, ease of
use, and value.

Thanks all.

Mike
Please note new phone and fax numbers below

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D
Research Plant Molecular Geneticist
U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center
1925 Linden Drive West