patents/licenses and Taq/Pfu DNA polymerase

Duncan Clark blackhole at
Tue May 3 04:03:44 EST 2005

Historians believe that in newspost <d50m26$ihg$1 at> on
Sat, 30 Apr 2005, DK <dk at> penned the following
literary masterpiece:
>In article <bz70viDc16bCFAbd at>, Duncan Clark <news at> wrote:
>>All Hotstart methods are covered by patents,
>>regardless of what they are.

I don't know of a non-patented Hotstart method out of the many

>Makes me wonder why no one yet patented all gel
>electrophoreis methods, regardless of what they are.

If electrophoresis was invented now then I have no doubt it would be

>More and more, patents and patent laws are becoming
>more and more ridiculous.

That's why.

We all land up paying the patent lawyers.

So if you want to be well off, become a biotech patent lawyer.

However maybe it is patents that also drive the inventions. If something
useful is patented then there is a large effort, in the molecular
biology field, to find alternatives. Without PCR there wouldn't be cycle
sequencing and all the alternative amplification technologies - albeit
they too are patented. But it does give some sort of choice.

they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.