Particle bombardment

Sharp Tool sharp.tool at
Wed Nov 16 17:41:11 EST 2005

  "Michael Sullivan" <mlsulliv at> wrote in message news:mailman.301.1132178285.29584.methods at

  On Nov 16, 2005, at 2:24 AM, Sharp Tool wrote:

    Not sure how you are able to achieve 0.5ug/ul with QIAPreps.
    The handbook indicates alot less than that.

    Sharp Tool

  I guess it depends on what you mean by "a lot" less. The handbook I have indicates that you can expect 5-15 ug of DNA for a high copy plasmid like Bluescript from a 1.5 ml overnight culture. One can use more culture than that, and the columns have a binding capacity of 20 ug, so a concentration of 500 ng/ul (a yield of 25 ug) might be a tad high, but not so very much higher than indicated in the manual.

  Yield will of course depend a lot on the vector, the insert, the host, and growth conditions. Without knowing these things, it's hard to offer suggestions.

  Michael L. Sullivan
  Plant Research Molecular Geneticist
  US Dairy Forage Research Center
  1925 Linden Drive West
  Madison, WI 53706
  (608) 890-0046 (Phone)
  (608) 890-0076 (FAX)

  The original thread had a typo in it. The concentration I would like to achieve is 0.5 to 1.0 ug/ul.
  The concentration I'm getting is 0.05 ug/ul, which is consistent with the yield expected from the Qiagen handbook.

  10ml LB overnight (16hrs) culture 38deg with shaking.
  5ml is used for miniprep.
  High copy plasmid in XL1-Blue.

  Sharp Tool