non-diffusion in agar

M Des kayamicdes at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 09:22:59 EST 2005

We have purified a small (< 1 ka) antibacterial peptide that we tested for
activity in solid media (routinely, wells cut in TSBYE, 0.75% agar, seeded
with the indicator bacteria). We also deposed a spot (10 uL) directly on the
agar. After incubation, absolutely no inhibition zone appeared around the
wells, but curiously a clear zone was visible just under the spot. A
positive control (gentamicin) was normal. Tested in liquid media, the
inoculum was totally inhibited by the peptide.

I was surprised that this antimicrobial doesn't diffuse in a soft solid
media. We supposed that the proteins agglomerate together and remained
trapped in the agar matrix, but adding Tween in the fractions did not help.
Does somebody have a clue to explain the non-diffusion of the peptide ?

Thanks

Michel
kayamicdes at hotmail.com

Profitez des puissants filtres de courriels indésirables articulés sur la
technologie brevetée MicrosoftMD SmartScreen.
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=fr-ca&page=features/junkmail Commencez dès
maintenant à profiter de tous les avantages de MSN Premium et obtenez les
deux premiers mois GRATUITS*.