EtBr and gloves - nitril, latex og vinyl?

Dag Rune Gjellesvik dagrg_nospam at online.no
Fri Oct 7 06:57:26 EST 2005

"DK" <dk at no.email.thankstospam.net> skrev i melding
news:dgud5g$5f7$2 at news.doit.wisc.edu...
> In article <dgol29$odh$1 at orkan.itea.ntnu.no>, Trond Erik Vee Aune
<trondaun at FJERNDETTE.nt.ntnu.no> wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >When handling materials contaminated with EtBr, which glove type gives
> >the best protection, nitril, latex og vinyl? Does it matter which type
> >of glove you use?
>
> Does not matter at all.
>
> Someone is saying it does. I would love to hear an explanation as
> to why that might be. IMHO, Eth+ is very hydrophilic and won't go
> through anything through which water cannot go. (It does not
> even cross plasma memebrane!).
>
> Dima

Hi,
I agree that there's not much out there to justify the excessive cautions
that are taken with EtBr, but I've seen for myself that it enters cells. I
used to experiment with EtBr on L-929 in the early days, and the pellet of
treated cell nuclei was definitely coloured red by EtBr.

By the way, this topic is on a regular cycle in this forum!

Dag Rune