ethidium bromide vapour?

Austin P So (Hae Jin) nobody at nowhere.com
Sat Sep 10 21:42:18 EST 2005

EtBr will not "vapourize".

If you add it to hot agarose, you will degrade it (lower sensitivity).
But of course you are adding a lot anyway, so it won't really affect
your results too much...it boils down to a time and convenience issue.

Speaking of which...I'm very impatient. So I usually cool hot agarose in
a cold water bath with constant stirring (usually about a minute). And
then when it has cooled enough to place on your cheek without "hurting",
then I pour. If I'm really pressed, and if I can find the space, I put
the gel into a fridge or freezer until it has solidified.

You add it in a fumehood or a designated area to limit exposure.
Sometimes, powder can line the bottle cap of a solution too, so you
might cause contamination this way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that any intercalators like EtBr will
  affect the eletrophoretic properties of DNA when it is included in the
running buffer or the gel. So it is important to think about your
application to determine how best to stain.

Austin