prevent EtBr from moving

Icejust noemail at anon.com
Sun Sep 11 09:37:20 EST 2005

Christian Praetorius wrote the Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:09:18 GMT in
news:3oglqfF5julbU1 at individual.net:

>>You can keep re using the buffer for staining.
>
> First of all, use a box with a tight closing cover for your staining
> solution. Then nothing of your solution will evaporate and you can use
> it more than once. Keep in mind, that ethidiumbromide is sensitive to
> light, so keeping this box on the window sill is not a good idea.
>
>>Than let it evaporate and dispose of the solid residues the usual way.
>
> This is a good way, to get toxic dust everywhere. I would filter the
> buffer through charcoal and then throw the charcoal into the
> contaminated waste.

Very nice, thanks for correcting me.
If I remember correctly, there is a sigma product specially designed for
that purpose.
Maybe these web pages would help:
http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/chemwaste/etbr.html
http://www2.umdnj.edu/eohssweb/etbr.htm
http://www.ehs.berkeley.edu/pubs/factsheets/47ethidiumbromide.html

etc. (google: disposal of etidium bromide)