Weak binding of His-tags to IMAC

Han nobody at nospam.not
Wed Sep 21 05:01:36 EST 2005

"Bean Long" <ben.long at yourfinger.anu.edu.au> wrote in
news:4330f46c$1 at clarion.carno.net.au:

> Hi all,
> I am having difficulty getting much of my His-tagged protein complex
> to bind IMAC beads (I'm using Talon which has immobilised Co2+).  Most
> of my protein comes out in the washes at pH 8.0 and only a small
> portion comes out when I elute with either imidazole or EDTA.  My
> troubleshooting guide suggests a higher pH might help but 8 is already
> quite high.  I am also using 300 mM NaCl in my wash buffers, could
> this be the problem?  Any ideas appreciated.
> Cheers,

My his-tagged protein, too, binds relatively weakly to resins.  You just
have to try different resins and conditions.  I now use histrap_HP columns
from what is now GE Healthcare, in part because we got the chance to
purchase an HPLC machine ...  I do not use any imidazole in the binding or
washing, but still have to really check peak purity (still in the process
of getting problems solved).

Best regards
email address is invalid