DNA from old frozen and partly coagulated heparin blood

AndyFrey muffco at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 1 12:16:36 EST 2006

marc crepeau wrote:
> I'd be curious to know how you determined that there was no DNA.
> Agarose gel?  Spectrophotometry

My statement referred to the method we're using normally. This ist a
standard method of selective lysis of RBC then lysis of the nucleoli,
Protein extraction and DNA precipitation in EtOH. This means that, its
important to have enough solved DNA before precipitate it, if not there
will no precipitation be seen, by eye. This in conclusion means that
the method failed to yield DNA in this case.

We now, switched the method and instead apply the Quiagen QuiAMP DNA
Blood Kit. It works even in this case, it also promises to work with
heparin Blood well. Because it consists of an ionic-exchange column
where the DNA is bound until the last eluation step i *hope* that the
DNA product will contain no heparin or maximum a tolerable amount of
it.

Yours Andy