Re-POST of THE ORIGINAL MERLIN MINI/MAXI-PREP

J Winkler news.100.johanneswinkler at spamgourmet.com
Tue Apr 11 01:58:26 EST 2006

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Wolfgang Schechinger wrote:
>
>> Probably also should be the same for iPropOH as its oxidation product
>> aceton also might react with DNA.
>>
>> To all Bionetters: Please comment! Should one be concerned about it or
>> doen't itr matter at all?
>>
> I had never considered this because I had never run into a situation
> where modified DNA might be a problem. The couple of times I had bad
> quality DNA I decided it was from spoiled phenol. Cloning, sequencing,
> PCR, transfection/transformation have all worked fine using room temp
> ethanol, sometimes several months old in clear glass on the shelf.

Funny that aceton should be mentioned - at that time, an alternative
protocol even used aceton for washing the bound DNA, see e.g.
http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/methods/1994-February/011700.html .
I actually tried that protocol and got plasmid DNA which I couldn't
cleave using REs. I then re-ppt'd the DNA, washed using 70% EtOH and
everything was fine.

I didn't investigate that problem in detail, might have been a one-off
thing.

Johannes