RNA electrophoresis help

Michael Sullivan mlsulliv at wisc.edu
Tue Apr 11 08:54:13 EST 2006

I always run RNA gels with ethidium in the gel and buffer and have
never had a problem. You do need to make sure you're not using too
much, though, or it might obscure your bands. I use 1 ul of 10 mg/ml
per 100 mL of gel or buffer.

Mike Sullivan

On Apr 11, 2006, at 6:54 AM, John Frank wrote:

> i recently ran a RNA agarose electrophoresis (in denaturant
> conditions/formaldehyde) with ethidium bromide in the gel. since
> not even the markers were visible under the UV, i was wondering if
> anyone is aware of any possible interactions of the MOPS/
> formaldehyde/formamide mixture with the ethidium bromide (i am
> asking this because after seeing some protocols describing this
> procedure, i noticed people tend to stain with EtBr afterwards, as
> opposed to including it in the gel). thanks in advance :)
>
>  - john frank

---
Michael L. Sullivan
Plant Research Molecular Geneticist