Schlierens or Swirls in PolyAcrylamide Gradient Gel

Tony Nugent tnugent at
Tue Apr 11 16:50:35 EST 2006

Hi Duncan, the glass is washed in RBS followed by several DI rinses.

I wonder about the temperature of the glass, versus the reagents/Room
temperature. I believe these artifacts are just on the surface of the
gel, as they are very difficult to see. However Lab personnell spend a
lot of time looking for them and discarding those they find.

Thanks for your help

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces at
[mailto:methods-bounces at] On Behalf Of Duncan Clark
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 2:09 AM
To: methods at
Subject: Re: Schlierens or Swirls in PolyAcrylamide Gradient Gel

Historians believe that in newspost
<mailman.484.1144271920.16885.methods at> on Wed, 5 Apr 2006,
Tony Nugent <tnugent at> penned the following literary
>For others who cast gels, do you see these faint schlierens, and have
>you any experience with them.

It sounds like possibly insufficient mixing of the high and low in the
gradient mixer so you randomly get a slug of low or high acrylamide
where it shouldn't be?

Can you stick a dye or something in one side and make it more visible to
see the problem as it happens?

they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.