slide assay with vista green. It's possible?

Jose de las Heras josenet at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 20:14:29 EST 2006

"GysdeJongh" <jongh711 at planet.nl> wrote in message
news:443ed8a0$0$2026$ba620dc5 at text.nova.planet.nl...

> "Christian Praetorius" <prae at gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:4a82biFrfju2U1 at individual.net...
>> "GysdeJongh" <jongh711 at planet.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Or you could buy Affi- or ABI chips . Faster .
>>>They have another advantage : they are the only one accepted for
>>>publication
>>>! You will not get a publication with home brew chips in any serious
>>>journal.
>>
>> Thats definitely not true. How many references shall I pick out from
>> my database?
>> From the commercial companies you also forgot Nimblegen.
>
> Lets say 100
>
> But .....
>
> None from a large arraying facility demonstrating that  _they_  can do it
> None from a large arraying facility on some technical isue
>
> I have those myself , thx
>
> Only from a biological group solving a biological problem , please
>
> Gys

It seems to me that the whole issue with microarrays is vastly over-rated
(or misunderstood).

They can be as complicated as you wish. Microarrays, with 1000s of genes,
allow you to do some pretty fancy studies. But you don't need to extract ALL
possible information from a microarray experiment for it to be useful. It's
just a big dot-blot, after all...

It's not difficult to design and obtain very useful information, with
home-brew or otherwise arrays, using relatively uncomplicated tools. Just
have a stroll by the BioConductor forum, for instance.

I have one good example of dealing with a company who "thought" they
understood the experiment a colleague wanted to do, and proposed rather
ludicrous controls. Fortunately we could stop that before it became
expensive. Sure, companies may provide a useful service. We are in fact
going to use Nimblegen for a particular experiment. But there's no
substitute for doing your own analysis, at least to some extent. After all
you are the one who knows exactly what the questions are...

Home-made arrays can be just as good as any commercial ones, providing you
follow some common sense QC procedures. Why are you so dogmatic?

Jose