slide assay with vista green. It's possible?

Peter Ellis pjie2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 21:06:43 EST 2006

GysdeJongh wrote:
> "Peter Ellis" <pjie2 at cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:4a7l4sFrg5n8U1 at individual.net...
>> GysdeJongh wrote:
>>>
>>> Or you could buy Affi- or ABI chips . Faster .
>>> They have another advantage : they are the only one accepted for
>>> publication ! You will not get a publication with home brew chips in
>>> any serious journal.
>>
>> Rubbish
>
> This search string :    Ellis P[author] AND (microarray OR Array OR
> "DNA Array")     in Pubmed finds 3
> Two different Peters , 1 does not use array's
> Maybe I am missing something

I'm the one that does use microarrays.

Leaving aside the papers of mine that don't directly hinge on array data,
there are four papers I've authored or co-authored since 2004 that fit the
bill (publication of array data from home-brew chips).  Your string finds
two of them.  One is new enough not to be indexed in PubMed yet, the fourth
simply didn't have "microarray" as a keyword.  Amazingly enough, I'm more
likely to put things like "spermatogenesis" or "testis" as keywords, since
the novel scientific content of a paper is by and large the important bit -
perhaps this is why you think there are no microarray papers out there.

These four papers are in Molecular Human Reproduction, Human Molecular
Genetics, Genome Biology and Mol. Cell. Biol.  OK, none of them are Nature
(and I certainly don't want to sound like I'm boasting) - but I think that
all four could be considered serious journals.

I'm not *remotely* interested in getting into a dick size war about the
length of respective publication records: I'm just making the point that
home-brew array work *does* get published in good journals.  That is, if
it's good work, supported by other evidence, that tells us something
interesting about the world - same as any other array work on any other
array platform.

I note in passing that trying this search string:
"cdna microarray" NOT affymetrix NOT ABI
in PubMed finds 2253 papers.  Why not try reading some?  You might be
pleasantly surprised.

Peter