Cloudy TBS solution.

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at
Fri Apr 14 11:47:26 EST 2006

Ved Sharma wrote:

> I'm using TBS for immunohistochemistry and I adjust the pH by HCl.
> I never tried filtering it because when I prepare the solution, it
> looks very clear. Can it be a bacterial contamination which
> develops after a couple of days? Although it's hard for me to
> imagine if bacteria can live on a "Tris base-NaCl" diet.

Probably either bacteria or fungi. Why not simply look at them in the

By the way, keeping solutions in the fridge is good practice, as is the
addition of antibacterials like sodium azide (don't use if you detect
with peroxidase) or timerosal.