EtBr in polyacrylamide gels

Jayakumar, R R.Jayakumar at
Fri Apr 28 23:37:27 EST 2006

Well.. I am not sure.  But I can guess why.  Intercalation of ethidium
bromide with DNA causes the DNA bands to slow down and may cause
mobility differences not intended.  So since polyacrylamide gels are
generally used for bands of ~ 100-500 bp, this would cause a problem.
   I hope I am right
Best of luck

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces at
[mailto:methods-bounces at] On Behalf Of Emre Oktem
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 12:47 PM
To: methods at
Subject: EtBr in polyacrylamide gels

We are trying to visualize DNA in polyacrylamide gels. Is there any
why we shouldn't put EtBr in a polyacrylamide gel before polymerizing it
just like we do in agarose gels instead of staining it later? In the
literature I couldn't see such a technique.
I feel that there is a drawback, what can it be?

Methods mailing list
Methods at