Fwd: R: EtBr decontamination

Pow Joshi via methods%40net.bio.net (by pow.joshi At gmail.com)
Thu Dec 7 16:44:54 EST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pow Joshi <pow.joshi At gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:13:09 -0500
Subject: Re: R: EtBr decontamination
To: "Prof. Piero Sestili" <sestili At uniurb.it>

On 12/7/06, Prof. Piero Sestili <sestili At uniurb.it> wrote:
> I feel safe with EtBr trapping bags from sigma. As an alternative I use
> to bleach EtBr in concentrated hypochlorite and as color disappears I
> also add HCl since I had seen somewhere that acidic environment promotes
> degradation of residual dangerous byproducts.  This procedure was on the
> WEB so you can look with a search engine for further details,
>
> Piero

Thank you Piero,  and Han, for the inputs...I did try the
google...(always do before I cry for help ;)); however, the data on
google confused me. I shall try the activated charcoal procedure.
 However, my major concern is a little wierd: We wash out own lab
coats, and I was wondering how safe that was to use with bleach in the
household-washing machine...

thank you again,
pow