Ammonium or Potassium Acetate?

Wolfgang Schechinger novalidaddress at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Feb 4 08:36:57 EST 2006

Dear JW
Just checked sial.com for ammonium dodecyl sulfate. It's sold as a 30%
aqueous solution. So it seems to be quite soluble and seems to me being
not so much suited for the precipitation of proteins and geomic DNA.
I also compared the precipitate formation of 3M KoAc vs 3M NH4OAc, bot
pH 5,2 with HOAc with 0.1M NaOH / 1% SDS (the alkaline lysis solution).

No ppt at all with the NH4OAc, KOAc made lotsa snow like a charm.

Is there maybe a particular role of the Ammonium ions?

Wolfgang

PS please reply to the group, emails to this address will be delivered
to autotrash