N-terminal degradation of Recombinant protein

Russell Wrobel rlwrobel at biochem.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 9 10:39:08 EST 2006

I'm part of a structural genomics group and we do high though put
protein production in E. coli. N-term. tags can usually be cleaved off
after protein purification with site specific proteases.  In our program
we have had good luck expressing things with an N-term maltose binding
protein (MBP) tag.  After purification we remove the tag using TEV
protease.  There are several commercially available expression systems
that rely on the cleavablity of solubility tags.

Good Luck, Russell