UV light kills DNA contamination in PCR samples

x j jxccny at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 21:28:02 EST 2006

Dear Sir/Maddam,

  I found the following message from internet. Could you plase give me the volumn, pages of the article that appeared on Nature. Thanks, Jun
  ----------------
  A friend of mine found this in some lab journal, thought I'd pass it on to you...
***
Shining UV light on PCR reagents can eliminate DNA contamination,
according to a letter in the January 4 issue of Nature.  When researchers
at the Mayo Clinic/Foundation (Rochester, MN) took PCR mix containing
between 3 and 30,000 pg of DNA, irradiated it with 254- and 300-nm bulbs
for 5 or 20 minutes, and amplified it for 30 cycles, no amplified product
was observed.  Even 3 pg of starting DNA normally gives a detectable
amount of product after 30 cycles of amplification.  DNA added to an
irradiated PCR mix could still be amplified, indicating that UV treatment
didn't affect the reagent's ability to amplify.  Although a 5-minute
irradiation reduced the amplification efficiency of double-stranded DNA,
single-stranded primers in the PCR mix still maintained their integrity.
***
dan