Stability of sodium carbonate buffer

Stacy Ferguson stacyef at
Wed Feb 22 00:26:48 EST 2006

In article <1140553507.035106.202350 at>,
 "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth at> wrote:

> I've been told that sodium carbonate buffers are stable only for
> 'weeks'. What happens to them, and what does 'weeks' mean? Two weeks?
> Twelve weeks?
> - Susan

Bicarbonate breaks down to CO2 and water. While this is reversible, CO2
doesn't stay in solution easily (if it did, you could just leave an open
bottle of Coke in the fridge indefinitely) and that throws off the
equilibrium. When I'm using carbonate buffers frequently, I just have a
fresh batch made every 1-2 weeks.