genomic DNA from marine invertebrates

Catherine Vogler cvogler at gwdg.de
Fri Jul 7 05:39:01 EST 2006

I am trying to extract genomic DNA from a range of different marine
invertebrates (crustaceans, molluscs, ascidiands, zoanthids,
sponges...), but so far with mixed results. I have used Phenol
Isoamyl Alcohol, Chelex, Qiagen DNeasy tissue kits and Promega Wizard
SV kits. I have some problems with PCR inhibitors, and although the
Qiagen kit seems most efficient at removing these, economical
constraints are a bit prohibitive to keep using it. So i was
wondering whether someone could advise me on alternative inhibitor
removal methods, or has experienced similar problems when extracting
marine invertebrate DNA and has found a solution.

And then i had a second question: as i will in the future be
processing large amounts of samples, i am looking for a 96-well
extraction method. Probably using a vacuum manifold, but then i came
across the Qiagen MagAttract Plant Kit. Although it is designed for
plants, could anyone advise me/have any experience on the possibility
of extracting invertebrate DNA with it too?

Thanks a lot!!