Commercial VS column cleaned detergents?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 11 11:11:47 EST 2006

scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au wrote:

> Does anyone know how a commercial protein grade or ultrapure detergent,
> such as a Tween, compares to one that I could prepare myself by column
> cleaning with activated carbon or amberlite ion-exchange resin?

The issue with some non-ionic detergents is peroxide-formation. These
react with lipids and proteins during solubilisation. For purification
protocolls see for example

Ashani & Catravas Anal. Biochem. 109 (1980) 55-62
Dijkstra et al. Anal. Biochem. 240 (1996) 142-147

The procedures are somewhat involved and use solvents like
dichloromethane, so it might be a good idea to just buy the stuff.