SDS precipitates when I add my sample to PAGE sample buffer

scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Jun 13 07:56:02 EST 2006

Hi folks,

Thanks for the ideas, but I dont think that it's either potassium or
temperature related.

I had already thought about the PBS and checked (experimentally) that
the concentration of K+ is low enough that it is not causing the
precipitation that I have seen. Well, it will not precipitate the
equivalent concentration of SDS, at least.

Also, it's not precipitating due to the cold, because the precipitate
does not dissolve on heating, and on boiling it tends to increase. THe
precipitate becomes more compact and settles more easily, in fact.

Cheers,

Scott.