Commercial VS column cleaned detergents?

scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Jun 13 07:59:17 EST 2006

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
> scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how a commercial protein grade or ultrapure detergent,
> > such as a Tween, compares to one that I could prepare myself by column
> > cleaning with activated carbon or amberlite ion-exchange resin?
>
> The issue with some non-ionic detergents is peroxide-formation. These
> react with lipids and proteins during solubilisation. For purification
> protocolls see for example
>
> Ashani & Catravas Anal. Biochem. 109 (1980) 55-62
> Dijkstra et al. Anal. Biochem. 240 (1996) 142-147
>
> The procedures are somewhat involved and use solvents like
> dichloromethane, so it might be a good idea to just buy the stuff.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. But what I really would like to know is how the
level of contaminating peroxides and free fatty acids in activated
carbon-cleaned resins would compare with commercial protein grade or
ultrapure. If I could, I would just do a comparison, but I have no way
of assessing this. (As it happens, I dont actually need it for protein
purification. I only mentioned protein grade detergents because they
are a common grade of purity offered by mol bio companies)

Cheers,

Scott.