E. coli electroporation efficiencies - pBR322 v/s pUC ori

Haviland, David L David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu
Sun Jun 25 09:13:37 EST 2006

AC:

I've found differences as well in transformation effeciency, also based on size.   But at the same time I've not rechecked the origin of replication of the respective vectors.

Currently, TOP10F's, and SURE cells have been our bugs of choice so that is where my current experience is.

By electroporation, we have easily obtained 10^9 cfu/ug of pUC19 with both cells.   But as we know, this is also a small vector.   After knowing this, I then tried a nubmer of vectors we had in the lab.   pBluescript at 3kb rendered high 10^8 cfu/ug.  pCDNA3 at 5.3kb was in the low 10^8 cfu/ug.  With a 7 kb insert, for a total of 12.3 kb, we had plummeted to the low 10^7 cfu/ug.   The only other thing I had was a cosmid, checking in around 47kb (7kb for pTCF vector and about 40kb for the insert) the effiency plummeted to the mid 10^4 cfu/ug.

I could be wrong but if memory serves most of these are using the old pBR322 backbone with its ORI of replication.

So by comparison, I think we have similar results with different sized vectors.

David