SexAI

Duncan Clark blackhole at abuse.plus.com
Wed Mar 8 03:53:38 EST 2006

Historians believe that in newspost
<1141805874.211349.6370 at j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on Wed, 8 Mar
2006, Wolfgang Schechinger <novalidaddress at nurfuerspam.de> penned the
following literary masterpiece:
>Megan,
>
>Pascal is absolutely right. Your NEB cataloue has a very good technical
>section in its back that explains the methylation motifs. If you don't
>have a dam- strain in your freezer, you may get one from some companies
>(eg Fermentas, NEB) who give away aliquots for shipping costs (ie for
>free if you order something else on ice) that you may grow and make
>competent on your own.

Pascal is wrong actually :-(

SexAI is blocked by dcm methylation not dam methylation.

Standard laboratory E.coli strains are dam+ dcm+ i.e. fully methylated.

Look for the JM110, or GM2929, or straight E.coli B ,or a B derivative
such as BL21. E.coli B is naturally dcm minus, dam plus.

As stated, NEB's catalogue (Reference appendix) is by far the best
resource for this information and should be the first port of call
before any such query.

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark