Removal of protein from glycogen extractant?

Ngo Thi Thuy Huong nt_thuyhuong at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 07:39:26 EST 2006

Dear all,

I am doing glycogen quantification in biological
materials and I faced a problem which I tried to solve
for 2 weeks now but I did not get much better. I tried
to establish a standard curve from mussel glycogen
standard but the standard deviation are always very
very high, r-square are about 0.95 - 0.97. In
literature I found that it might be cause by the
interfernce of protein. Then I tried to remove protein
from the samples by two methods:

1. In hot (95°C for 15 min) ethanol 70% then spin and
discard the precipitants.
2. In cold (4°C for 2h) ethanol 70% then spin and
discard the supernatants.

I found that the first method seems to be a bit better
but still I could not get a good curve for standard (i
mean r-square is not high enough and STDEV still quite
high).
I would be higly appreciated any idea how to improve
the glycogen standard curve or how to efficiently
remove protein from glycogen solution!

Thanks,
Twince