gDNA Extraction from FTA cards

lucia akinyi akinyistar at googlemail.com
Wed May 10 09:03:12 EST 2006

I have blood samples on FTA Cards and have tried extracting genomic DNA
using the FTA Extraction protocol without any success. Am trying to extract
trypanosome gDNA from human/monkey blood. Does anyone know of an
alternative method that i could also try, i am really stuck because this is
my project and i must have some results for my thesis. I even tried using
the extraction method by Boid *et al* (Boid R, Jones TW, Munro A (1999)* *A
simple procedure for the extraction of trypanosome DNA and host protein from
dried blood meal residues of haematophagus Diptera.* *Veterinary
Parasitology, 85:313-317) but i still do not get any DNA.

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Lucia