maximum probe length/siRNA

Simone Marker marker at
Thu May 11 12:37:28 EST 2006

does anyoneone know the maximum legth of a nothern blot RNA or DNA probe? I
want to detect specifically small RNA (siRNA) originating from an unknown
locus of a specific gene. So using the full lenght coding sequence as probe
would be necessary, but this is surely to long (8kb!!) in comparison to my
RNA (23 nt). I thought of several short probes covering the complete coding
sequence. But does anyone have an alternative idea? (e.g. I heard of partial
riboprobe hydrolyse (forward and reverse) but I don't find detailed

Thank you in advance!