double transformation

Aawara Chowdhury aawara at FEMA-trailer.org
Fri May 12 19:41:32 EST 2006

In <mailman.960.1147479159.16885.methods at net.bio.net>,
 Jayakumar, R <R.Jayakumar at roswellpark.org> wrote:

> Which cell?  If it is E.coli.. Then "everyone" is right.  For some
> reason, E.coli maintains only one plasmid.  I don't know why, but I am
> sure someone out there should know.

If both plasmids contain the same origin, they fall in the same
"incompatibility" group.  There could be several reasons for this.  For
most plasmids, incompatibility occurs because of competition for
replication initiator proteins.

If one needs two plasmids in the same E. coli, the simplest solution
is to use two different origins, eg. ColE1 and pSC101 origins fall in
two different incompatibility groups, and are therefore compatible with
each other.

AC
--
Email: echo 142322093203359315271794620168064975321554275890186P | dc