Lyophilizing sterile samples in a Speed-Vac

netgk netgk via methods%40net.bio.net (by netgk At hotmail.com)
Fri Nov 3 15:08:05 EST 2006

I used to use Eppendorf's LidBac tube for lyophilizing sterile samples of
growth factors and other expensive, labile molecules in a Speed Vac.  It has
a sterilizing filter that removes microbes from the air that rushes in once
the vacuum is released.  However, they will soon stop marketing this
product.  Does anyone know of another way to keep sterile solutions from
becoming contaminated during their time in the Speed Vac?

I wish someone else would pick up the ball and improve on Eppendorf's
design, which was not really intended for this purpose.  Ideally, the filter
should be in the cap of the tube, not in a canister inserted into the tube.
A cap filter would make it much easier to use, because one would not have to
handle the canister (inserting and removing), which risks contaminating it.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Kidd