Lyophilizing sterile samples in a Speed-Vac

Pow Joshi via (by pow.joshi At
Fri Nov 3 18:42:12 EST 2006

On 11/3/06, netgk netgk <netgk At> wrote:
> I used to use Eppendorf's LidBac tube for lyophilizing sterile samples of
> growth factors and other expensive, labile molecules in a Speed Vac.  It has
> a sterilizing filter that removes microbes from the air that rushes in once
> the vacuum is released.  However, they will soon stop marketing this
> product.  Does anyone know of another way to keep sterile solutions from
> becoming contaminated during their time in the Speed Vac?
> I wish someone else would pick up the ball and improve on Eppendorf's
> design, which was not really intended for this purpose.  Ideally, the filter
> should be in the cap of the tube, not in a canister inserted into the tube.
> A cap filter would make it much easier to use, because one would not have to
> handle the canister (inserting and removing), which risks contaminating it.

ah wondering if you cluld make you own filter set by carefully cutting
out the cap of an eppendorf tube and inserting /gluing a 0.22 filter should'nt be difficult although it would be a little messy ...

ps: and if you publish a methods paper for it please don't forget to
quote me  ... ;))